Here's a glimpse of our current projects and future prospects
Gary union station
Union Station in Gary, Indiana was built in 1910, just four years after the city was founded. The station is located between the elevated lines of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway and Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The building was closed in the 1950s.
Through the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation Donor Advised Fund from the Legacy Foundation, we were able to manifest our vision in preserving the Gary Union Station. Through the awarded grant money, we were able to create an aesthetically-pleasing exterior and a safe, parklike area for the public to use. We planted a garden, installed murals by dozens of local artists, placed benches, restored a majority of the original brick pavers, and poured new concrete thanks to help from US Steel.
The EJ&E served various industries in the Hammond-East Chicago-Whiting area. The train offered short-lived passenger services from 1889 until 1909, where, between 1907 and 1909, passengers were carried in the caboose of freight trains.
In 1901, the EJ&E was bought by the U.S. Steel Corporation. In 2009, the majority of its operations were then taken over by Canadian National, leaving a small piece of infrastructure in Gary, IN, to serve US Steel plants there.
the land company Building
Constructed in 1906, the Gary Land Company Building was the first permanent structure in the City of Gary, Indiana. The building’s original purpose was to house the offices of the Gary Land Company, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel Corporation. The Land Company was a real estate, city planning, and engineering company whose role was to plan and supervise the construction of homes, streets, and sanitary facilities in the new city. In addition, the building was the home of Gary’s first post office. The election for the vote on incorporation and the election of the first town officers was held at the Land Company Building. The building was also the first Town Hall and held the first high school classes.